Sunday, December 19, 2010

Basket may not be a great find, but it is an OK find!

There are great finds, good finds, OK finds, and not so great finds!
My American Indian(hopefully Pima or Papago tribe)basket is just an OK find.

I took it to a new friend who has been trading in Native American art since I was 2 years of age(ie quite a good while!) He said the basket is an "interpretive representation of an American Indian piece not made anywhere near the US sometime within the last 10 years".  It was probably made in northern Africa or the Philippines. Exactly what I did not want to hear.

The good news is the basket is well made, in good condition and does have a decorative value of between $50-$75. I will take it to a friend's consignment shop or my antique space to sell. I anticipate making a couple of dollars all the while having an enjoyable learning experience.

I emailed a thank you to my new "expert" and hope to have something of real intertest to show him soon.

2 comments:

  1. You were your own antiques road show on this one, but without the lines! I can't wait to hear about your next find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are doing this (though, at first, I thought you might be a disguised virus!) Love your Christmas tree!

    ReplyDelete